Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An example of Frigide Barjot in debate mode

Tempers can get very heated in France when debating gay marriage.  A central figure in the movement against the proposed gay marriage law is Frigide Barjot, a comedienne who took the lead in organizing the manif of November 17, 2012. In this exchange on a talk show, she is confronted by a supporter of gay rights:



I have translated the basic dialogue below, between (F) Frigide, and (M) Marie:

F: Man/Woman, who make children.... I am not for marriage for all. I am for civil marriage that remains in the heternormative bounds, of man/woman who have children.

M: Let me speak! It's my turn. This other guy started to say something he didn't get to say, he agrees with me. Let me speak... There are so many causes in France to get serious about: pollution, violence against women, mistreated children, tortured animals -- How can you waste your time on this?

F: Those things aren't being proposed as part of a bill to Parliament, I'm sorry. That's irrelevant.

M: You're crazy.

F: No, it's not crazy.

M: Listen to me, I'll tell you how it is. A gay couple is together and adopts a child, and the biological father dies after ten years. The child ends up in the DASS (Department of Health and Social Services); he gets taken away.

F: No, that's not true.

M: Yes, it's true. They have no legal rights. You haven't met them, but it's true. It's normal, how can I put myself in the place of the two papas?

F: I'll answer you right now. It's false. What you say is perfectly false. There's still the provision. I hope that two men who raise a child together have taken the time and precaution to write a will, as I would have to. If I write a will, the Civil Code allows me, upon my death to pass guardianship to the surviving partner. Of course, it's done. It's perfectly legal. A simple adoption, and the surviving partner becomes integrated as a legal parent.

M: It doesn't work that way. I know. I have a friend like that.